Ed Zarenski retired (well, semi-retired) in 2014 from a 42 year career in construction, 30 of those years as a building project cost estimator and construction economics analyst. He now spends his time as a construction economics analyst, author, educator and presenter. Upon retirement he began to focus on two life-goals; providing beyond the headlines construction economics reporting and teaching, which he’s fortunate to do at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He created the blog Construction Analytics as a place where his readers can find in-depth, behind the headlines commentary related to the economics of building construction.
Ed is involved with the Origami Poems Project although would starve if he had to rely on his poetry for a living. He spent most of his life as a competitive runner racing everything from the mile to the marathon, but now his racing days are memories. He is still an avid biker, hiker and skier and looks forward every morning to his sunrise dog-walks. He worked as an ambassador and campaign chairman for the United Way for more than 20 years and conducts food-raising events to support his local food bank. He has two college graduate children just starting their careers. He’s been practicing amateur astronomy since the 6th grade and spent 10 years studying, developing comprehensive testing techniques and publishing articles about hundreds of pieces of astronomy equipment. He loves teaching kids astronomy. And now he has more time to do all the above.
A rising tide lifts all boats.
- Construction Economics Analyst
- Author Construction Forecast
- Lively presentation speaker
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Adjunct Instructor- construction management graduate degree program
- Advanced Cost Estimating and Construction Economics
Gilbane Building Company, Providence, RI
- 35 years Cost Engineer / Estimating Executive – retired 2014
- Construction economics analysis, estimating systems development, client master plan analysis, life cycle cost analysis, lead estimator
- Past Administrator / Moderator – world’s largest online astronomy community
- Author over 30 comprehensive articles on amateur observational astronomy, understanding optics and optical performance
- Binocular Testing and Reviews
- Understanding Optics
Origami Poems Project
Penn State University
- BS Structural Engineering -1979
- AS Surveying Technology -1977